Thursday, November 12, 2009

Would have been money well spent!

So there was the cancer. Then there was the surgery. Then there was the follow up CT Scan.

Now my Most Amazing Kidney Surgeon had asked me to do the follow up CT Scan in Vancouver back at the same hospital that my original was taken. That hospital is 7 hours away. I have alot of kids and alot of juggling to get there. There were gas costs that I can't afford right now and well, it was just easier to have my CT Scan done up five minutes down the road at our local hospital with a different radiologist and have my family doctor take a look at the results.

So I took the path of least resistance and had it done last Friday, here.

Then there was the heart stopping phone call from the doctor's office that they had found a 2 cm lesion on my liver. And of course the reassurance "not to worry, but please go for further tests as soon as possible".

THAT is not the sort of news you want to get. Especially when you know way, way, way too much about how horrible, awful, and most importantly terminal any sort of cancerous lesion on your liver is. And you have just watched someone you love go through a brutal session of chemo to treat their own liver cancer. And you have a sister who has to deal with a reality of a father and a sister with liver cancer issues.

Needless to say the last few days have been ROUGH. R-O-U-G-H.

We didn't tell the kids. I really just could not until we knew more. Which is probably a good thing.

A miss-read of the original CT Scan Report meant that my family doctor missed the fact that this "lesion" was ALREADY on my liver back before the cancer surgery. This lesion that I have been FREAKING THE HECK OUT ABOUT was already examined and determined to be absolutely nothing of any significance. It's the same dang lesion. And they didn't figure it out until a rather weepy me asked my doctor in his office TODAY to double check.

Ooooops.

Future lesson: The $150 in gas would have been a SMALL price to pay for the absolute terror I have been living in the last few days.

For those of you that knew what was going on and picked up the jiggling pieces of terrified me. THANK YOU.

8 comments:

Sandy said...

So happy to hear the news. All that praying worked. Celebrate with a little wine or maybe something stronger.

Di said...

Next time (nto that there will be a next time..) but.. I'll split the gas cost! Take you for dinner when you are down here AND celebrate all the good news! No more bad stuff allowed! There or here! WHEW!

holland was my destination said...

So here I sit not knowing you but reading your blog for over a year or so with tears in my eyes with happiness for you!

birthmothertalks said...

Wow! I am happy that all is well.

Amanda said...

Oh, that is such good news! I am so sorry that you had to go through all that to get it, though.

Unknown said...

Oh wow...I am glad it worked out...but that just must have sucked! Yikes!

One Busy Momma said...

Oh wow.....
I am sooo happy for you!!!!
What a relief it must be!!!!

yes... next time... drive!!! *laughs*
Drive to keep you sane!!!!!!!

So glad that you have one less thing to worry about!

Anonymous said...

OMG!! Thank GOD! You don't know me, I don't know you, but you have been on my mind often and I am so happy to hear all is well!